SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#378433 - 12/17/13 05:21 AM Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?....
Dnj Offline

keys

Edited by Dnj (12/17/13 05:23 AM)

#378441 - 12/17/13 06:45 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I still think with T-2 you could sound very good just as well....
lets face it the whole Tyros line is amazing......1-5

#378442 - 12/17/13 06:57 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Compare a 1971 mercedes SL with a 2013 one.... Both are still cars, but the 2013 is faster, more luxury and probably better at everything..

If you dont see the difference you are blind... Or in the case of the Tyros deaf...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#378445 - 12/17/13 08:32 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Ok if you say so.....

#378446 - 12/17/13 08:41 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Hi,

The T2 clearly still sounds very good especially in the right hands.

Yamaha has a distinct sound that is distinguishable in each model which attributes them sounding similar in some cases but the differences are most noticeable when the new sounds that are exclusive to the particular model are used.

For example, I've had a T4 for around 6 weeks now and I was hard pushed to tell the differences between the same sounds or styles that were on both keyboards but clear as day where they differed. It's probably the same with the T5 in some respects and will continue in this cycle.

Edited by DannyUK (12/17/13 08:42 AM)

#378448 - 12/17/13 08:50 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: DannyUK]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Hi,

Yamaha has a distinct sound that is distinguishable in each model which attributes them sounding similar in some cases but the differences are most noticeable when the new sounds that are exclusive to the particular model are used.

For example, I've had a T4 for around 6 weeks now and I was hard pushed to tell the differences between the same sounds or styles that were on both keyboards but clear as day where they differed. It's probably the same with the T5 in some respects and will continue in this cycle.

Many of the sounds in the T4 are still exactly the same si in the T2....

Thats how Tyros works... Take everything in the previous model and add nee feutures, sounds and styles to it. ... However in the T5 the whole effects section that is about 50% of the sound got updated, changing the whole sound for the first time as a whole...

#378449 - 12/17/13 09:06 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Hi,

Thats how Tyros works... Take everything in the previous model and add nee feutures, sounds and styles to it. ... However in the T5 the whole effects section that is about 50% of the sound got updated, changing the whole sound for the first time as a whole...

Yes if you want to be an out of the box player never digging into the keyboards efx features to make the KB your own sound...no offense but so many never even look inside the hood.

#378455 - 12/17/13 09:42 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hi,

Yes if you want to be an out of the box player never digging into the keyboards efx features to make the KB your own sound...no offense but so many never even look inside the hood.

You missed the point, every effect is used in the default styles and instruments selections, espescially if you neve tweak things to sound your own you are going to hear the difference between the old T4 sounds and styles on T4 and the old T4 sounds and styles on T5.... The effects all had an upgrade and they are 50% of how every styletrack or solo sound will sound...

Since between 2 and 4 the effects barely changed, the upgraded sound will only be audible in the new additional sounds and styles... From 4 to 5 almost everything sounds better ( in my opinion)

#378459 - 12/17/13 09:52 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hi,

You missed the point, every effect is used in the default styles and instruments selections, espescially if you neve tweak things to sound your own you are going to hear the difference between the old T4 sounds and styles on T4 and the old T4 sounds and styles on T5.... The effects all had an upgrade and they are 50% of how every styletrack or solo sound will sound...

Since between 2 and 4 the effects barely changed, the upgraded sound will only be audible in the new additional sounds and styles... From 4 to 5 almost everything sounds better ( in my opinion)

"BETTER" is in the ears of the beholder...like I've said before ...almost any TOTL, MOTL, arranger KB made in the last 10 years can do an awesome job in the of a professional player on stage and that's a fact.

#378467 - 12/17/13 11:01 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

I don't think the T5 sounds overly better, I definitely think it sounds different. If it was far superior than a T4 i'd be owning one now. Just my opinion too.

Edited by DannyUK (12/17/13 11:03 AM)

#378470 - 12/17/13 11:32 AM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't think the T5 sounds overly better, I definitely think it sounds different. If it was far superior than a T4 i'd be owning one now. Just my opinion too.

I have to agree with you, Danny. The Tyros5 does sound very good, but the Tyros4 also had a great sound.

Many new features on the Tyros5 wouldn't be used enough by me to warrant a purchase, and I would have only considered a Tyros5 if I was hankering for 76 keys.

I have never wanted (or needed) 76 on an arranger, and if I intend to play as a solo piano, I only want 88 weighted action keys, so a controller or digital piano would be what i would get. I was using a Yamaha P-95, and I'm considering Casio's PX-5S, but since retiring I spend all my time using the Tyros4 in arranger/style play mode, so even the Casio buy is not confirmed.

I find, from listening to on-line demos, that the Tyros4 is a bit mellower (which I like) than the Tyros5, yet the former still has lots of smooth detail (again, which I like), and Yamaha's overall rich even-textured sound has always kept me firmly in their camp, from way back. It suits the style I play to a "T"...a T4 in this case. wink

I think the people coming from a Tyros2 or Tyros3 to a Tyros5 will be the ones most impressed.

Ian

#378481 - 12/17/13 12:58 PM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, NO arranger maker has come out with anything RADICALLY different to its previous three or four models. Each one starts with the previous model, adds just a few new sounds or features, and gets the vast majority of the arranger playing market to believe that THIS one, finally, will change how they play!

Truth is, if you didn't make the T2 sound amazing (unlike Bert!), the T5 won't make you sound amazing, either. The dirty little secret of the arranger industry is that it still boils down to the player, and little else.

Yes, the modern Mercedes will go faster, more safely, and arguably a bit more luxuriously (personally, I'm more a fan of older interiors than these modern plastic palaces!) than the old one. But only a BIT... It's not like the old Mercedes WASN'T fast, safe and luxurious. Just that the new one is a BIT better.

I must admit, though, I like to have a chuckle now and again reading Donny get so dewy eyed about the old arrangers and how well they do an awesome job of entertaining your audience, but of course, he is almost definitely the one guy on this forum that has rapidly gone through almost everything ever made, as it comes out!

Talk about not following your own advice!

#378491 - 12/17/13 01:48 PM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well, Diki, I must be hearing something different, then. There is a huge difference between the PSR-3000 and S-950 - HUGE! And, knowing that you have played both board, you KNOW there is a HUGE difference. I suspect the difference between the T2 and the T5 is about equally as big. I, personally, won't know until I get my aging fingers on a T5. I had the opportunity to play the T4 for an hour and it was light years ahead of the T2.

Go figure,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#378514 - 12/17/13 08:36 PM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perception is in the eye of the beholder, and things that appear highly noticeable to someone intimately familiar with the gear in question, due to daily usage of it, may not be the thing that is noticed by someone simply LISTENING to two related products, but not instantly familiar with what has changed and what was in the old one...

Kind of like two recordings of the same symphony. There are some that can tell exactly which one is which, who conducted what, whether one is on period instruments and the other on modern ones, etc., and then there are the majority of listeners, who will simply notice that it is the same piece. And probably be unable to tell you what is different.

I never said there is NO difference, but to the casual listener, it is often FAR less than the user of the gear would like to think everyone can hear.

As I said,it is the PLAYER that still makes the largest difference, and I honestly cannot think of anyone on this forum that I thought was bad that now suddenly sounds great because they bought a newer arranger!

#378528 - 12/17/13 10:38 PM Re: Tyros 2 vs Tyros 5 "Real Change or ?.... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

The current 2nd hand price of T2 overhere in europe has dropped under $1000 ...
Which does not make it a bad bargain does it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online